Veggie Curry with caramelized turnips and roasted chick peas.
WHAT YOU NEED for 4 bowls
- 4 carrots
- 2 small sweet potatoes (or one big)
- 2 small onions
- canned chick peas
- 1/4 of a squash (about 800g)
- 400 ml coconut milk
- Spices: Curry (1 tsp) Cumin (1 tsp), Paprika/mild chili (1 tsp)
- Ginger (a big slice)
- 3 small turnips
- One glass of rice
- 250gr lentils
- olive oil
WHAT TO DO
Cut the turnips in big cubes
Sauté in a hot frying pan with olive oil (the oil must be really hot). Once the turnips start to cook add some sugar (max. 1 tbsp) little by little. Cook for 25 mn (give it a little stir once in a while so it does’t burn. It must be caramelized!).
Rice and lentils:
You need 2 doses of slightly salted water for one dose of rice. Bring the water to boil. Add the rice and let cook for about 12 minutes (depending on the rice you're using).
Also cook the lentils in salted water.
- Roast the spices (curry, cumin, paprika, chili) in a little bit of coco milk. It will extract the flavors. You can add a little bit of cinnamon which goes perfectly with the squash.
- Add the sliced onions and let sim
- Add diced ginger --cut in very small pieces (you can use a garlic press to extract the juice of the ginger if you don't like the fibres)
- Add the sliced carrots, add a bit of the coco milk
- Add the squash and the sweet potato, and the extra coco milk.
*Little tip: put the squash in a sieve on top of your pan while the carrots are cooking to lightly steam it and make it easier to peel the skin off!)
Put the canned chick peas in a flat baking pan. Spray with a bit of olive oil and garlic. Roast in oven for about 5 minutes.
If you are using dried chick peas you must cook them first in water!
HOW TO SERVE
Put the rice and lentils at the bottom of each bowl, then the veggie curry, the turnips, sprinkle with chick peas.
It’s super tasty, super easy to make, and it will feed your friends during a nice autumn diner. It’s also super rich with essential amino-acids and will make you strong, either to party afterwards, or to go for an intense exercise the next day. You choose!